Start the Day with Dairy
The benefits of dairy products added to your muesli:
We all know that dairy foods are high in calcium, which we use for developing and maintaining strong bones. Calcium is not the only nutritional benefit that dairy foods offer though; some dairy foods are bursting at the seams with a unique line up of vitamins and minerals, including:
- Vitamin A: important for normal reproduction, vision and immune function
- Vitamin B12: helps to keep blood healthy and maintain neurological function
- Riboflavin: helps cells to function properly
- Phosphorus: aids in the growth and repair of cells and tissues. Phosphorus also works with calcium to provide structure and strength to bones and teeth
- Potassium: helps with heart function and contraction of skeletal and smooth muscle
- Vitamin D: helps to maintain required calcium levels in the body
- Magnesium: important in bone structure and maintains nerve and muscle function
- Zinc: helps with wound healing and is essential for normal growth and development
- Carbohydrate: provides energy for all the cells in the body
- Protein: needed for growth and development and muscle maintenance. Protein helps to repair damaged body tissues.
These dairy and dairy alternatives added to your muesli or porridge will provide a nutrient boost:
Yoghurt: natural yoghurt will give you an extra dose of protein, calcium, and B vitamins, as the nutrients are not diluted with sweeteners such as fruit puree or sugar. Yoghurt is also a great pro-biotic which our guts love. Alternatively, if you prefer a flavoured yoghurt, try to find one with smaller amounts of additives and sugar – these are still packed with nutrition (with a little extra taste!)
Milk: full cream, reduced fat or skim milk, all dairy milks are rich sources of protein and calcium, along with an array of micronutrients, as above. A tough combination to beat.
Soy Milk: a good dairy alternative for those who cannot or prefer not to have dairy products. Soy milk is a great source of protein, however, it is not naturally high in calcium like dairy milk, so ensure you look for a brand that is fortified with calcium, especially If using this as a dairy milk replacement.
Ricotta: a lower energy dairy cheese option, ricotta cheese is a creamy protein and calcium source, naturally low in sodium that can make an interesting addition to your morning muesli.